Wednesday, September 8, 2010

my purpose

Why are you here?

I stared at this question, pondering. I wondered if any of my peers had trouble answering this, or if it was as obvious to them as it is to me. Why am I here? I'm here because I want to know. I want knowledge, and I want a massive amount of it. I want knowledge of fine literature running through my veins, I want to be able to talk to strangers in the super market about Freudian theories, I want to be able to sit in a park and read books most people have never heard of.
I suppose, to some extent, the idea of having money and a career have effected my decision to attend college. But mostly, when I think of money in my future, I think of spending it paying off this very education I am receiving, to pay my bills, to pay for a house in which I may sleep, and that's about as far as it goes.
I see life defined more by the things you do in it as opposed to the things you own in it. I have little patience for those who are living their life as a means of getting to a lucrative job that they will most likely despise. It's a cycle many of us can see exemplified by our parents - they spent important years of their lives toiling away in college towards a very boring degree in very boring classes, to spend their lives working at very boring jobs for a very exciting paycheck that they don't have the time or energy to spend in ways that aren't, yes, boring.
What I want to gain from attending college and attaining my degree and (hopefully) my doctorate, is a tangible love and passion for what I'm doing. Material possesions pale in comparison to the richness of knowledge and wisdom I hope to have at the end of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment