Monday, November 29, 2010

something more than ink

For the past thirty minutes or so I've been perusing various websites trying to get see if I can find a picture representation of the vague idea I have in my head for my next tattoo, and I was flabbergasted to see how many damn terrible tattoos people get.
If you get stars on your hip you might as well kill yourself right now because I hate you. Or stars anywhere for that matter. I understand that tattoos are trendy and fashionable now, but I'm still a firm believer that if you get one it should have some sort of artistic talent behind it or meaning to you. If I have to see another tattoo of a goddamn dove I'm going to punch myself in the face. Tattoos are a painful, expensive, and FOREVER investment. If you're going to make the dive into that realm, which I by all means support, then at least make it something worth having in your life forever. People just don't know how to deal with commitment, even for something like that.
Of course I'm not being entirely holier than thou, my tattoo has no real meaning aside from I was stoked to get some flowers on my shoulder and eventually it will wrap over and go down my side. I chose pansies because they are pretty and my grandmother used to have a garden of them. I got it on my chest because I impulsively felt like it, which has proven to be very difficult to hide from my unknowing parents. I got it in North Carolina from a friend of a friend who is doing some fucking awesome work and I wanted to be a part of it.
In the end, I think tattoos are sweet and I'll probably get a couple more though I vow to not be too excessive with it. But if you're thinking about getting one, seriously, think hard. Don't be trendy and predictable about something like that. Tattooing is quickly becoming more prominent in society not as a sign of rebellion but as art - your body is the canvas. Decide on something beautiful, something meaningful.
Not some brass knuckles and a cupcake. SERIOUSLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment